Saturday, November 20, 2010

DIY Woodland Silhouette Ornaments


Here is a great DIY Christmas ornament that you'll love doing!



Here's a list of things you need:


-Assorted scrap booking paper (at least 2 colors of your choice)

-Glitter (color of your choice)

-Scissors

-Plastic beads

-Stiffened Felt (Craft Store)

-Oval paper mache disk ornament (Craft store)

-Mod Podge

-Paint brush

-Paper trimmer

-Various embellishments

Other items that you'll need that I forgot to get in to the picture: exacto knife, sanding sponge and Martha Stewart Tinsel glitter (I just discovered this stuff!)


Also, this is a great project that is up to your own interpretation! It can be any type of paper, glitter and silhouette you'd like, really anything goes! It's all up to you, and your style!


First step is to prep your paper selection. Use a paper trimmer to cut paper to size about 3" by 4". You can use the same on both sides or coordinating papers. I used coordinating papers. Apply glue to one side of the ornament and put it face down on the paper. Smooth it out with you fingers and then trim excess off with scissors. Don't worry about the edges, this is where the glitter goes.



The edges are rough from trimming, but use a sanding block (or fine grit sandpaper) to sand off the edges for a smooth look. Wait for the glue to be pretty close to dry before sanding.





Next, get your silhouette's ready. I bought a package of little felt deer (light brown deer below) thinking that they would be great, but the color just didn't work. I even tried painting them, but the felt didn't take the paint very well, except for one that you'll see further down. So I decided to use the deer as a pattern and cut them out by hand. I even made some girl ones. :) I used stiffened felt as opposed to regular felt, just to make it cleaner and easier to cut out, yet still have the look of felt. It's found in the same section as regular felt.


Glue silhouette to the ornament using Mod Podge and let dry. Now it's time to embellish.
Apply Mod Podge to the edges of the ornament and sprinkle on glitter. I did one side at a time, just to make it a lot less messy. I used the same glittering technique I used here.
Let it overlap the front of the ornament a little.
I did each ornament different, embellishing some with diamonds, some with snowflakes.


During this project, I discovered Martha Stewart Tinsel glitter, it was really fun stuff. After the regular glitter had dried, I went back over with Mod Podge and just used the tinsel glitter as an accent. I did one of the ornaments with just the tinsel glitter and while pretty, I thought it was just too much.



Here is the only little deer that that liked his paint job!




These snowflakes are pre-cut too, I found then in my stash, they look great too.



Finally, I used plastic beads to fancy up the plain hanger. Just slip the beads on and then knot it so they don't slip back off. I found that between 3 and 4 beads were best, any more and it was too busy and started taking away from the look of the ornament.



This project could go so many different ways, and a great project for kids too!




Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are inspired and give this a try!


UndertheTableandDreaming






giveaways

16 comments:

  1. These are so cute and seem so easy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. They are beautiful. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I love the deer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of these ornaments. Thank you so much for sharing. Now to find some thrifty embroidery hoops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! I would love for you to come link this up at my Strut Your Stuff Party, and enter the giveaway as well!
    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, this is wonderful & so simple even I could do it, I'll bet the kid-lings would love it, too. TY for sharing.

    Have a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, these are adorable! I just bought some MS glitter last week. Haven't used it yet.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are absolutely gorgeous! You've given me some awesome DIY tree ideas! :) I must follow this blog for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea Michelle! You're so talented and creative =) I thought of you today when I came across a blog party featuring ppl who sell thier crafts on etsy. The blog is Finding Fabulous and the link party is Marketplace Monday.

    Here's the link if you want to check it out:
    http://decormamma.blogspot.com/2010/11/marketplace-monday.html

    Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
    (BTW: LOVE your Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!!)
    xo
    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to let you know that I featured these on my blog because they are just fabulous!!! Hope you can stop by and check it out! I absolutely LOVE your blog....have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this project! I have a collection of little holiday deer that this project would go so nicely with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michelle,

    This is such a creative and fun looking idea! They turned out great and all look so cute together!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so great, Michelle! The paper and the reindeer are perfect!! Thanks for linking up at WhisperWood Cottage. Your feature post is up. Please grab a feature button if you would like one! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle